Fatal accidents and serious car crashes happen all the time. Following such a crash, you may end up with unprecedented injuries and losses. If the other driver was drunk, reckless, or distracted, it could be a clear case of negligence. You can hold the driver responsible for their action and demand compensation for your damages. Idaho is a fault state, and therefore, you have to file a third-party claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company. Before you get started, consider talking to a legal expert. Here’s how you can select a reliable Idaho car accident attorney.
- Check reviews. Reviews and client testimonials are really handy for comparing lawyers. If an attorney has been around for years, they must have enough reviews. Clients are more likely to post a review if they are too happy or displeased with the service. If a law firm has too many negative reviews, it could indicate an unprofessional attitude and lack of expertise.
- Ask specifically about car accidents. Personal injury law is complicated and vast, covering everything from car accidents and premise liability cases to medical malpractice and nursing home abuse. If you are hiring an attorney for your accident claim, you need to know if they work on such claims and lawsuits frequently in their course of work.
- Discuss the worth of your claim. Should you file a car accident claim with the other party’s insurer? Are your losses minor enough to file a claim with your insurer? What should you expect in a settlement? These are some of the basic questions worth discussing with an injury lawyer during your first meeting. Don’t shy away from discussing the key aspects that can influence your decisions.
- Ask about the costs. Usually, personal injury lawyers don’t charge an upfront fee but instead work on a contingency arrangement. The lawyer (if they take your case) will charge a part of the final settlement only when you win. There could be other expenses to fight a car accident lawsuit, and you should have a fine print of the expected costs.
- Sharing important details. You have two years to file a car accident lawsuit in Idaho, counting from the accident date. In other words, there isn’t much time, and more importantly, if you have a share in fault, this can largely impact your settlement. Ensure that you have discussed these key pointers in person.
Hire a lawyer soon after the car accident in Idaho and start working on the case.